What You Can Do in 2017 towards E-Waste?
If individuals take responsibility we can together solve a number of problems and PCB e-waste is no different, so what should you do?
1. At your workplace, ask about the company's e-waste management policy and inquire how they adhere to it. If there is no policy or no specific attention, do your bit to raise an awareness about the necessity of such a policy.
2. Not dump any electronics or batteries in the trash. Maintain a cardboard box to store all the waste batteries and electronics and dispose them responsibly with an e-Waste management company.
3. Think twice before buying an electronic toy for your kid? Do you really need to buy that? Are there better no-battery alternates? Toys without any electronic device or battery, etc. can really save you a lot and environment friendly.
4. Use second-hand electronics. You can buy them from Amazon, flea market, etc. It won’t cost much but the goods’ performance still can satisfy you.
5. When you buy any new electronics, please check if they have any of the following hazardous chemicals like lead (Pb), cadmium (Cd), mercury (Hg), hexavalent chromium (Hex-Cr), polybrominated biphenyls (PBB), or polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE). If you have no idea about them, just ask the salesman. If the product you want has one of them, please see if you can buy an alternative.